A gratitude journal is a great source of inspiration and reflection to help promote positivity in your life. Here are some tips to help you start your own gratitude journal:
- Find a journal that represents your purpose and works for you. It may be in print or digital format.
- Aim to be consistent. Try to allocate a set time each day to write in your journal. I like to work on my journal in the morning, around 8:00 AM, as it helps to start my day on a positive note
- Decide how many things you would like to express gratitude for each day and set that as your goal. You can write your entries in small paragraphs or lists; you may even prefer to use drawings
- Try to be specific. In the beginning you may find this difficult, but it will get easier with time. For example: “I’m so lucky to have my daughter” soon becomes “I’m so grateful to have my beautiful, kind and loving daughter who makes me smile and feel loved every day”. Ask yourself: what am I grateful for and why
- Turn negatives into positives. Instead of dwelling on negative thoughts or situations try to find the positive in those situations. For example: “I’m upset I didn’t get that job, but I have gained experience which I can apply to the next application, and an understanding of what I need to work on for future interviews.” This will help you to focus on the positives when faced with difficulties.
Writing a gratitude journal may seem unnatural at first, but if you stick with it, it will help you to cultivate a greater sense of happiness and optimism in your life!