By Emma Pearce-Mogridge
Negative thoughts happen to all of us. But the trick is not to let them dominate our positive thoughts and energy. To help with this, here are 8 steps to change negative thought patterns. Try and practice these steps every time a negative thought enters your mind, the results will be worth it!
- Acknowledge your negative thought(s) and accept your feelings.
- Take notice of the situation and your initial reaction.
- Challenge that behaviour.
- Come up with healthier alternatives to deal with your negative thought.
- Use positive affirmations to reaffirm the new and healthier thought.
- Create an action plan to recognize future negative thoughts and repeat this process.
- Soon it will become easier to spot negative thoughts and change the thought process.
- Reinforcing the idea of changing your thought process can change your life.
You can do this!
Emma is Nurtured Life’s company Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer. As a trained child and adolescent counsellor and behaviour management specialist, and certified life and executive coach, Emma has always believed in the importance of mental health and self-care. Emma’s compassion for others has deeply motivated her connection with Nurtured Life.